[ UK /jˈuːniən/ ]
[ US /ˈjunjən/ ]
[ US /ˈjunjən/ ]
a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets
let C be the union of the sets A and B
- healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones
the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts
lightning produced an unusual union of the metals
the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes
the mating of some species occurs only in the spring
the casual couplings of adolescents
the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
God bless this union
a long and happy marriage
the act of making or becoming a single unit
the union of opposing factions
he looked forward to the unification of his family for the holidays
the state of being joined or united or linked
there is strength in union
an organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer
you have to join the union in order to get a job
a political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations
the Soviet Union
- a device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner)
of trade unions
the union movement
a union-shop clause in the contract
How To Use union In A Sentence
- Unions and managers are now referring to the stand-off as ‘class war in the classroom’.
- An AFTRA statement confirmed the issues' importance, calling the 1% increase the union's "primary objective" in the bargaining. Jonathan Handel: AFTRA, Networks Reach New Three Year Deal
- Locked into declining industries and a shrinking public sector, unions have become ineffective. Times, Sunday Times
- Instinctively they turned their back on the farce staged by the trade unions.
- Union officials privately acknowledge that Phoenix's achilles heel has always been the difficulties it would face raising the necessary finance.
- He would never have gone to the Union while his wife was alive: she said it was "plebby. The Key to Rebecca
- In July, the project came to a standstill for nine days when workers stopped to oppose the use of non-union contract labour on the site.
- After that I felt that we, the workers, needed unity and I have been attempting to unionise the place.
- The unions had almost no influence on the factory floor and were ineffective in collective bargaining.
- The formal dissolution of the Soviet Union in December 1991 did not automatically change any of that for the better.