- protrusion of the intestine and omentum through a hernia in the abdominal wall near the navel; usually self correcting after birth
How To Use umbilical hernia In A Sentence
- Umbilical hernias occur more often in premature infants and those of African American descent.
- An umbilical hernia occurs when part of the intestine protrudes through a weakness in the abdominal wall at the navel.
- Reputable pediatric surgeons do not repair simple umbilical hernias in 5-week old infants.
- Congenital extroversion or eventration is the result of some congenital deficiency in the abdominal wall; instances are not uncommon, and some patients live as long as do cases of umbilical hernia proper. Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine
- Rupture at the navel is called umbilical hernia; that in the groin either inguinal or femoral, according to slight differences in site. The Home Medical Library, Volume II (of VI)
- An umbilical hernia occurs when a baby's abdominal wall doesn't completely close before birth, causing a small piece of bowel or fat under the skin, often referred to as the sac, to stick out. Pediatric surgery: Umbilical Hernia
- There was no umbilical hernia which is a defect the abdominal wall around the belly button.
- Name and address supplied It sounds as though your son probably has what is known as an umbilical hernia. Times, Sunday Times
- An abdominal examination showed no abnormality apart from an umbilical hernia.
- In addition to the familiar inguinal, femoral and umbilical hernias, a number of unusual hernias can occur.