[ US /ˈtəɡ/ ]
[ UK /tˈʌɡ/ ]
[ UK /tˈʌɡ/ ]
struggle in opposition
She tugged and wrestled with her conflicts
move by pulling hard
The horse finally tugged the cart out of the mud
carry with difficulty
You'll have to lug this suitcase
pull or strain hard at
Each oar was tugged by several men
strive and make an effort to reach a goal
We have to push a little to make the deadline!
She tugged for years to make a decent living
She is driving away at her doctoral thesis
This movie tugs at the heart strings
The prisoner tugged at the chains
tow (a vessel) with a tug
The tugboat tugged the freighter into the harbor
- a sudden abrupt pull
- a powerful small boat designed to pull or push larger ships
How To Use tug In A Sentence
- Mediterranean to look out for a French and Spanish squadron, which had been on the coast of Portugal, but returned to Ferrol --- I received all your letters by the Turkish corvette, which is arrived at Messina. The Life of the Right Honourable Horatio Lord Viscount Nelson, Volume 2
- Some might say the club have taken refuge in recent years in the rosy glow of their triumph of 1967 so they might be as well moving permanently to the Portuguese capital.
- She tugged sharply on his sleeve to get his attention, then gestured to the tin. THE DEVIL'S DOOR
- Star staff Saturday, August 22, 2009 - Powered by SIDON: The southern coastal city of Sidon saw banners fill its streets and lights brighten up its sky days before the Holy Month of weather in Baltimore has been sweltering lately, putting many at risk for heat-related conditions. such as Italy criticised Internazionale coach Jose Mourinho for comments the Portuguese made about Ramadan at the weekend. WN.com - Articles related to Lagos Fires Tourism Through Sports
- Portuguese later acquired the property and turned it into the European-style Leal Senado Building for municipal chamber and the front square for Portuguese settlers to hold festive celebrations.
- A guttural sound broke from his chest when he felt her sheathe tugging him deeper, its slick clench undeniable. Dreams of a Dark Warrior
- Designed with grace and precision by Portuguese architect Bak Gordon, this modern home located in the heart of Pousos, is all about smooth and simple design that draws from the modern architecture principles of using simple cubical structures. How To Create a Minimalist Home
- But the slave, perceiving that the zamorin seemed inclined to deal favourably with them, went to the cady or chief priest of the Mahometans, and told him all that he had said to the zamorin, adding that the two Christians had disclosed all their secrets to the Portuguese. A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels — Volume 07
- He tugged at the neck of his turtleneck sweater feeling like it was a noose tightening with each attack.
- An accumulation of debt has caused investors to worry that Portugal will not be able to pay back the money. Times, Sunday Times