(Greek mythology) a great war fought between Greece and Troy; the Greeks sailed to Troy to recover Helen of Troy, the beautiful wife of Menelaus who had been abducted by Paris; after ten years the Greeks (via the Trojan Horse) achieved final victory and burned Troy to the ground
the story of the Trojan War is told in Homer's Iliad
How To Use Trojan War In A Sentence
- There is probably no more pertinent a time for a revival of Shakespeare's story of the Trojan war than now.
- The scene on the other side of the cylix is supposed to illustrate an incident of the Trojan War: two warriors, starting out on an expedition, are met and stopped by the god Hermes. A History of Greek Art
- If you studied ancient history at school at all, you will have learned that the Trojan War began because a non-invitee at Zeus's banquet send an anonymous golden apple in her stead, and three goddeses had an argument about who deserved it most. Unthinkable? Historically accurate films | Editorial
- the story of the Trojan War is told in Homer's Iliad
- Some authors say flourished about A.D. 742; but the learned Ah-ah Foo-foo states that he was a cotemporary of Scharkspyre, the English poet, and flourished about A.D. 1328, some three centuries after the Trojan war instead of before it. Mark Twain
- Two revolutions have shaped the study of the Trojan War in the last two decades, one in archaeology and the other in epigraphy the study of inscriptions. The Trojan War
- His brother Menelaus was the husband of Helen, for whose sake the Trojan War was fought.
- Perhaps the most famous legend about Aphrodite concerns the cause of the Trojan War.
- Penelope, the wife of Ulysses, has been waiting many years for his return from the Trojan War.
- I think the timocratic structure of divinity in early Greek myth might be quite a good thing to apply to the tale of Eris, the apple and the Trojan War.