- any of numerous usually tropical ferns having a thick woody stem or caudex and a crown of large fronds; found especially in Australia and New Zealand; chiefly of the families Cyatheaceae and Marattiaceae but some from Polypodiaceae
How To Use tree fern In A Sentence
- These included a number of exotic plants - rhododendrons, bamboos, and tree ferns being particularly well represented.
- A conservatory built in the center of the building on the south side contained a very interesting collection of orchids, cycas, and some tree ferns from the Philippines. Final Report of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Commission
- The flat, strappy foliage of the exotic night bloomer contrasts texturally with a bed companion, the enormous, finely cut fronds of an Australian tree fern.
- His slides showed examples of phormium, umbellifors, ferns and grasses, such as yuccas, angelica, tree ferns, bamboos and pampas grass.
- There are filmy ferns, and more jagged ferns, ferns which look like moss, and the stumpy Mexican tree fern, Cybotium scheidei, which never grows very tall.
- At the bottom of the gorge was a dense rainforest of coachwood, sassafras, lilly pilly, possumwood and tree ferns.
- A wooden walkway snakes out from the house under a tunnel of drunken tree ferns, then opens up to a sitting area. Times, Sunday Times
- After crossing the beautiful Mahitahi River you drive through an impressive avenue of mixed rimu and podocarps and ferns and tree ferns.
- Herbivorous reptiles the size of rhinos were hunted through forests of tree ferns and flowering trees by saber-toothed predators.
- Asiatic tree fern having dense matted hairs sometimes used as a styptic.