[ US /ˈtɹænzɪt/ ]
[ UK /tɹˈænsɪt/ ]
[ UK /tɹˈænsɪt/ ]
- revolve (the telescope of a surveying transit) about its horizontal transverse axis in order to reverse its direction
cause or enable to pass through
The canal will transit hundreds of ships every day
pass across (a sign or house of the zodiac) or pass across (the disk of a celestial body or the meridian of a place)
The comet will transit on September 11
make a passage or journey from one place to another
Some travelers pass through the desert
The tourists moved through the town and bought up all the souvenirs
a journey usually by ship
the outward passage took 10 days
- a facility consisting of the means and equipment necessary for the movement of passengers or goods
- a surveying instrument for measuring horizontal and vertical angles, consisting of a small telescope mounted on a tripod
How To Use transit In A Sentence
- The social transition has gone wrong: it is majoritarian absolutism.
- The exams are just around the corner and students are bogged down with preparation work for practicals and orals but the Transition year students found time to raise funds for those less fortunate.
- The transitional zones between low backgrounds of W Mo group elements and iron group and chalcophile elements are the favorable enriched zones of uranium deposits.
- Thus, transitive verbs in idiomatic expressions frequently will not passivize (the cowboy kicked the bucket, but not * the bucket was kicked by the cowboy). VERBATIM: The Language Quarterly Vol III No 4
- English is called a nominative-accusative language because both transitive and intransitive verbs take subjects. Behind Bars | ATTACKERMAN
- This course is useful for students who are in transition from one training programme to another.
- There's no insight into Alexander's transition from beloved leader to drunken megalomaniac; one minute he has his subjects hanging on his every word, and then next thing you know he's declaring himself a god.
- He uses the ambiguity of passageways and transitional spaces to construct an esthetic of anticipation.
- Wehave shown for the first time that small intestinal and whole gut transit is faster in patients with chronic radiation enteritis.
- The Russian Revolution itself was but one episode in the transition from capitalism to socialism.