[ US /tɹænˈsɛnd/ ]
[ UK /tɹænsˈɛnd/ ]
[ UK /tɹænsˈɛnd/ ]
be greater in scope or size than some standard
Their loyalty exceeds their national bonds
be superior or better than some standard
She exceeded our expectations
She topped her performance of last year
How To Use transcend In A Sentence
- La transcendance de l'égo: esquisse d'une description phénoménologique. Jean-Paul Sartre - Bibliography
- Enough to raise themselves to the same level of transcendence.
- We honor Ralph Waldo Emerson, but where does Transcendentalism figure in anybody's life today?
- Fujiwara's fictional art-market foundation is pointedly pre-Christian; he wants, he suggests, to reference a period before art was required to be "transcendental" or "moral" and link it to its strictly "commercialised" roots. Frieze art fair 2010 – review
- The criticism of our time ... is indissociable from an investigation and experience of its transcendental field (s), of the (impersonal) tendencies and haecceities which traverse it, as well as the potentialities, utopian ones perhaps, with which our present can be composed. The Skeptic's Field Guide
- This support of the fabrication of the transcendent in its different modes, all of which, according to Diotima, come under the same propaedeutic: love of beauty.
- Adults adopt an essentially Kantian moral perspective that seeks to transcend and judge all conventional moralities.
- The material world is manifest out of singular consciousness, nondual suchness, it evolves ... and then transcends again. Sebastian Siegel: Manifesting the Moon
- The violent enforcement of orthodoxy in Christian history is the necessary and logical consequence of seeing an institution as the agent and protector of transcendent truth.
- Thus to this congregation of excellent, undeceiving refuge, we pray that by the power of this prayer expressed from a heart filled with fervent devotion and humility, may the body, speech and mind of the sole of the Land of Snows, the supreme Ngawang Lobsang Tenzin Gyatso, be indestructible, unfluctuating and unceasing; may he live immutable for a hundred aeons, seated on a diamond throne, transcending decay and destruction. The Long Life Prayer for the 14th Dalai Lama