- a strait between northeastern Australia and southern New Guinea that connects the Coral Sea with the Arafura Sea
How To Use Torres Strait In A Sentence
- They are spoken in the Torres Strait, and among Aborigines in northern Australia.
- A few of the horses after their voyage were in good order, and the most of the others, which were in such low condition from their insufficient allowance of water from Moreton Bay to Torres Strait, now showed, from their having plenty of water since their reshipment at Hardy's Islands, that they were in a thriving state. Journal of Landsborough's Expedition from Carpentaria In search of Burke and Wills
- A striking feature of the songs is that unlike much contemporary Indigenous song writing, the fettling gangs of Torres Strait Islanders in the sixties, seventies and eighties did not write predominately about home. Eastern Torres Strait Islander Songs
- While Australia's indigenous people, the Torres Strait Islanders , and immigrants from overseas for this writer added a new field.
- On average the Torres Strait shipping lanes are checked annually, particularly where sand waves are known to be present.
- Donald Friend's silk-screen motifs represented pearl divers in the Torres Strait, Margaret Preston used shapes from bark painting, William Constable sketched a corroboree, and a scarf by Roy Dalgarno evoked Arnhem Land.
- After lunch, we walked round the spit and swam in a sea like silk, with only a sea eagle and a few white Torres Strait pigeons for company.
- This results in Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders developing negative self-concepts and a growing sense of a separate identity.
- With its location in the Far North of Australia, soldiers posted here need to know how to effectively communicate with Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders.
- The Torres Strait Island boys held the state record in Queensland for the Mount Isa line. Eastern Torres Strait Islander Songs