- small usually brightly-colored viviparous surface-feeding fishes of fresh or brackish warm waters; often used in mosquito control
- freshwater fish of Central America having a long swordlike tail; popular aquarium fish
How To Use topminnow In A Sentence
- The goal is to establish suitable habitats throughout each watershed to allow the topminnow to migrate from one site to another.
- The males are less responsive to non-threatening fish like topminnows (family Fundulidae).
- A network of desert springs known as Bylas Springs, lying adjacent to the Gila River on the San Carlos Indian Reservation in Arizona, was once home to a thriving population of Gila topminnows.
- The Arizona Game and Fish Department and The Nature Conservancy are monitoring the Gila topminnow and Huachuca water umbel populations at the spring.
- Other members of the group then presented the landowners with various tokens of appreciation, including passes to the Tennessee Aquarium and a framed print of the Barrens topminnow by a renowned fish illustrator.
- Associations between MHC heterozygosity and infectious diseases in free-ranging animals under natural conditions have been found in Chinook salmon and in Gila topminnow.
- Five other landowners within the watershed have joined in the partnership to establish habitat for the topminnow and improve water quality for the endangered Cumberland pigtoe mussel.
- In a previous series of laboratory trials, we examined the strength of premating and postmating barriers in an allopatric species pair of the endangered Sonoran topminnow, Poeciliopsis occidentalis and P. sonoriensis.
- Tyler's work with the Barrens topminnow stands as a shining example of her hard work and dedication to the protection and recovery of rare species.
- The Gila topminnow historically occurred throughout the Gila River drainage in Arizona, and even into New Mexico and Mexico.