moving from one place to another and back again
he traveled back and forth between Los Angeles and New York
the old man just sat on the porch and rocked back and forth all day
the treetops whipped to and fro in a frightening manner
How To Use to and fro In A Sentence
- My hair was matted and wild -- my limbs soiled with salt ooze; while at sea, I had thrown off those of my garments that encumbered me, and the rain drenched the thin summer-clothing I had retained -- my feet were bare, and the stunted reeds and broken shells made them bleed -- the while, I hurried to and fro, now looking earnestly on some distant rock which, islanded in the sands, bore for a moment a deceptive appearance -- now with flashing eyes reproaching the murderous ocean for its unutterable cruelty. III.9
- I replied that we daren't go until we saw a reasonable chance (if I knew anything, we'd wait a long time for one), and so we bandied it to and fro and got no forrarder, and finally went to bed, played out. The Sky Writer
- On Sundaye mornynges itt is a fayre sighte to see her going to and fro churche in a _chapeau de Paris de la dernyère agonie_, bearyng a _parasolett a la ripp snap mettez-la encore debout_ style; and whych shee sayes is like a _homme blasé_, because it is Used Upp. Sundaie afternoon yee may find her in ye The Continental Monthly, Vol 2, No 6, December 1862 Devoted to Literature and National Policy
- The flame was glorious - radiant with the colours of antique knighthood and the flashing gallantries of the past; but no substance fed it; flaring wildly, it tossed to and fro in the wind; it was suddenly put out.
- Back roads around Tollerton were almost impassable because of standing water and the only clear way in and out of the village was on the road to and from the A19.
- Britain's royal family took their traditional public Christmas Day stroll to and from church on Friday, with one well-wisher receiving a hug and a kiss from Prince William.
- The importance of communication to and from employees is readily accepted, in principle.
- My home on Sunday became a place of carefree fun, little wet boys running to and fro, glistening beads of moisture running down their soft nubile chests.
- Behind it, when he was in session, George would swing to and fro in his green leather swivel armchair smoking a cigar.
- Finally a gorge opened into a cuplike valley to and from which there was only this one entrance and exit, marked in pines and rubbly slopes. Archive 2007-09-30