[ UK /tˈaɪtəl/ ]
[ US /ˈtaɪtəɫ/ ]
[ US /ˈtaɪtəɫ/ ]
- give a title to
designate by an identifying term
They styled their nation `The Confederate States'
an appellation signifying nobility
`your majesty' is the appropriate title to use in addressing a king
a heading that names a statute or legislative bill; may give a brief summary of the matters it deals with
Title 8 provided federal help for schools
an informal right to something
his claim on her attentions
his title to fame
a legal document signed and sealed and delivered to effect a transfer of property and to show the legal right to possess it
he signed the deed
he kept the title to his car in the glove compartment
a general or descriptive heading for a section of a written work
the novel had chapter titles
the name of a work of art or literary composition etc.
he refused to give titles to his paintings
he looked for books with the word `jazz' in the title
I can never remember movie titles
the status of being a champion
he held the title for two years
(usually plural) written material introduced into a movie or TV show to give credits or represent dialogue or explain an action
the titles go by faster than I can read
an established or recognized right
he had no documents confirming his title to his father's estate
he staked his claim
a strong legal claim to the property
an identifying appellation signifying status or function: e.g. `Mr.' or `General'
the professor didn't like his friends to use his formal title
How To Use title In A Sentence
- Some were members of Turkey's elite military class known as "pashas," a title of respect harking back to Ottoman military commanders Monday for allegedly planning to blow up mosques in order to trigger a military takeover and overthrow the WN.com - Photown News
- It was nice to play a Wii game that wasn't full of bright greens and blues like another title featuring Mario. Epinions Recent Content for Home
- Although I was already a fan of both authors, it was this curious title overlap that led me to snatch these two off the New Releases table at my local bookstore. Romi Lassally: My Literary Indiscretions
- From there the year had its high points - two Masters Series titles in Miami and Rome helped with that - but the Grand Slam events continued to pose a problem.
- Each player has to mime the title of a movie, play or book.
- This was later followed by a second book with the title Migrations.
- If she had a professional title, it would be Dr. Anne Jones and she would use that in her professional life.
- Between the two they've made 42 title defenses.
- The court say that, "to be a citizen it is necessary that he should be entitled to the enjoyment of these privileges and immunities, upon the same terms upon which they are conferred upon other citizens; and unless he is so entitled, _he cannot, in the proper sense of the term, be a citizen_. An Account of the Proceedings on the Trial of Susan B. Anthony, on the Charge of Illegal Voting
- Spin, the tracks were mostly inspired by surfing, except for the instrumental "Lady Dada's Nightmare", which is an homage to Lady Gaga, and the title track, which is about "the world economic crisis. Pitchfork: Latest News