- (Greek mythology) the blind prophet of Thebes who revealed to Oedipus that Oedipus had murdered his father and married his mother
How To Use Tiresias In A Sentence
- When the infant Heracles caught Hera"s two serpents in its hands, it was Tiresias who cast the child"s fortune and revealed the divine origin and destiny of the boy .
- The interest is the interplay between the three main characters, Oedipus himself, Jocasta and her brother Cleon, as the story is unfolded to them by a succession of walk-ons (Tiresias, the messenger, the shepherd, etc) - although the plot covers the whole of Oedipus 'life, the setting of the play respects the unities and takes place over a few hours or possibly days. Lightsecond
- Oedipus orders Tiresias to leave, and Tiresias does so gladly, as he did not want to be there to begin with.
- Divination was historically not gender specific but frequently androgynous, as the hermaphroditic figure of Tiresias exemplifies.
- No more of old Tiresias! nunc, spectatores, Iovis summi causa clare plaudite. Amphitryo, Asinaria, Aulularia, Bacchides, Captivi Amphitryon, The Comedy of Asses, The Pot of Gold, The Two Bacchises, The Captives