[ US /ˈtɪŋkɝ/ ]
[ UK /tˈɪŋkɐ/ ]
[ UK /tˈɪŋkɐ/ ]
- formerly a person (traditionally a Gypsy) who traveled from place to place mending pots and kettles and other metal utensils as a way to earn a living
- small mackerel found nearly worldwide
- a person who enjoys fixing and experimenting with machines and their parts
try to fix or mend
She always fiddles with her van on the weekend
Can you tinker with the T.V. set--it's not working right
- work as a tinker or tinkerer
do random, unplanned work or activities or spend time idly
The old lady is usually mucking about in her little house
How To Use tinker In A Sentence
- Stop tinkering with that clock and take it to the repair shop.
- A constant tinkerer, Paul spent hours developing recording tricks like over-dubbing and guitar effects like reverb.
- Yet doctrinaire democrats don't seem to give a tinker's toss about placing limits on what a legislature (local or global) can divvy or decide.
- I seems like his stance is the same, he has just tinkered a bit with the numbers and specifics. Obama Pulls Back on Social Security Plan - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
- Margot chuckled at the new use for the derisive term for malware tinkerers, and reminded herself to use it in her report. Short Story: "Fair Game"
- It may yet click its way to victory after victory, a monument to the Tinkertoy dreams of childhood.
- I am criticised for the expression tinker up in the preface. The Letters of Horace Walpole, Earl of Orford — Volume 3
- Each school has to respect the system, but the system itself is always being tinkered with, each ranker is constantly making changes (as you note), and neither can deviate too far away from a system that at least makes some sense. Discourse.net: US News Is in Season
- Those were two of the things Aiel did to those who came into the Waste uninvited; only gleemen, peddlers, and Tinkers had safe passage, though Aiel avoided the Tinkers as if they carried fever. The Fires of Heaven
- Jack, an outcast and drifter himself, feels a connection with the tinkers and takes the job which, in turn, takes Taylor to perilous places within and without.