[ US /ˈθɝoʊ, ˈθɔɹoʊ/ ]
[ UK /θˈʌɹɐ/ ]
[ UK /θˈʌɹɐ/ ]
performed comprehensively and completely; not superficial or partial
an exhaustive study
made a thorough search
painstakingly careful and accurate
our accountant is thorough
without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers
a thoroughgoing villain
a perfect idiot
what a sodding mess
the unadulterated truth
stark staring mad
a consummate fool
an arrant fool
a complete coward
a double-dyed villain
a thorough nuisance
How To Use thorough In A Sentence
- I again affirm that I need make no apology for attaching my name to that of one so worthy the esteem of his co-dogs, ay, and co-cats too; for in spite of the differences which have so often raised up a barrier between the members of his race and ours, not even the noblest among us could be degraded by raising a "mew" to the honour of such a thoroughly honest dog. The Adventures of a Dog, and a Good Dog Too
- As they negotiated the park gates and turned into the crowded thoroughfare, Patience sat, stiffly erect; inside, her emotions churned. A RAKE'S VOW
- Applicants for government posts are always thoroughly investigated before being appointed.
- Part 6 of the Shadow of the Bat (27: 00) takes another thoroughly extensive featurette that concentrates on dissecting the "toyetic" nature of DVD Talk
- Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man - and I will show you a failure. Thomas A. Edison
- It was a great success and thoroughly enjoyed by all members who participated.
- He has written of the thoroughgoing nihilism of this class: their sense that life has no meaningful shape but is only one thing after another.
- No, not representing the winery …. just thoroughly enjoy the wines from this boutique winery in Shelton, WA. Syrah: beyond the fruit bomb | Dr Vino's wine blog
- The way to be happy is to be a real, thorough-going, true-hearted Christian.
- Thoroughly frustrated with the blindness of his countrymen, he resolved to establish a community in America.