- a famous battle in 480 BC; a Greek army under Leonidas was annihilated by the Persians who were trying to conquer Greece
How To Use Thermopylae In A Sentence
- For centuries, scholars have squabbled over the design of the ship, which was crucial to defeating the Persians in the Battle of Salamis in 480 B.C., part of a wider war that included the fight at Thermopylae dramatized in the film "300. Epic Struggle: Fans Fight to Revive an Oar-Powered Greek Warship
- The site may even become a halidom, like Thermopylae or Bodhgaya, around which hearts can irrationally rally. The Stars Are Also Fire
- When the great lyric poet Simonides of Keos wrote, in his old age, the famous epitaph for the Spartans who fell at Thermopylae — 'Go tell the Spartans that here we lie' — the word we translate as 'tell' was angellein. Winged Messages
- British MP George Galloway, a supporter of the anti-Israeli boycott movement, in his relentless pibroch against the Jewish state compares the Palestinians to the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae. On Thursday, the Legg report will be published along with...
- Failed negotiations with Rome over Greece and Asia led Antiochus III, invited by the Aetolians, to invade Greece, but M. Acilius Glabrio routed his forces at Thermopylae (191). D. Conquest of the Mediterranean
- Apparently the film will take place between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea. 300 Prequel/Sequel to be The Battle of Plataea? | /Film
- In 517 a major invasion occurred when Slav horsemen advanced as far as Thermopylae and Epirus.
- They knew, now, the Spartans at Thermopylae; and the sunken road at Shiloh; and the impis at Isandhlwana; and Chuikov's 62nd Army in the shattered factories on the Volga.
- Like Herodotus's exciting account of Leonidas and his 300 spunky Spartans holding up the entire Persian army at Thermopylae, this is story-telling so florid and fantastical that Tolkien himself might have written it.
- Sparta, Spartans clothing and weapons ofmilitary training ofnational ethos ofat Salamisstyle of discourse inThemistocles honored byat Thermopylaesee also EurybiadesStyra The Battle of Salamis