[ US /ˈtɛɹəbəɫ/ ]
[ UK /tˈɛɹəbəl/ ]
[ UK /tˈɛɹəbəl/ ]
extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact
spent a frightful amount of money
in a frightful hurry
exceptionally bad or displeasing
a painful performance
an unspeakable odor came sweeping into the room
an awful voice
intensely or extremely bad or unpleasant in degree or quality
a terrible cough
under wicked fire from the enemy's guns
a wicked cough
a severe case of flu
causing fear or dread or terror
the awful war
a fearful howling
the dread presence of the headmaster
a terrible curse
an awful risk
a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked
horrendous explosions shook the city
a dreadful storm
polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was
How To Use terrible In A Sentence
- demands for rectification of terrible injustices
- So spake he, and Athene was mightily angered at heart, and chid Odysseus in wrathful words: Odysseus, thou hast no more steadfast might nor any prowess, as when for nine whole years continually thou didst battle with the Trojans for high born Helen, of the white arms, and many men thou slewest in terrible warfare, and by thy device the wide-wayed city of Priam was taken. Book XXII
- I've got a terrible string of fruity obscenities building up inside me.
- A terrible outrage was committed here last night. Times, Sunday Times
- He gets a terrible going-over in these pages.
- I had the terrible feeling of being left behind to bring up the baby while he had fun.
- She looks terrible, shorn of all her beauty and dignity.
- CJ is certainly more watchable than any of the prequels, but it's a terrible disappointment. The goofiest scene in all the Star Wars movies
- The Holy Alliance was the joint labour of an unfortunate man who had suffered a terrible mental shock and who was trying to pacify his much-disturbed soul, and of an ambitious woman who after a wasted life had lost her beauty and her attraction and who satisfied her vanity and her desire for notoriety by assuming the rôle of self-appointed Messiah of a new and strange creed. The Story of Mankind
- I feel terrible — something I ate must have disagreed with me.