[ US /ˈtɛnjɝ/ ]
[ UK /tˈɛnjɐ/ ]
[ UK /tˈɛnjɐ/ ]
give life-time employment to
She was tenured after she published her book
- the term during which some position is held
- the right to hold property; part of an ancient hierarchical system of holding lands
How To Use tenure In A Sentence
- It was the least encumbered of all the tenures with obsolete and burdensome features, reminiscent of an older day, when land-holding involved public rights and duties as well as private rights of ownership.
- In England the franchises enjoyed by burgesses, freemen and other consuetudinary constituencies in burghs, were dependent on the character of the burgage-tenure. Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 4, Part 4 "Bulgaria" to "Calgary"
- But without exception, these big operations use leased land, with tenures typically of two to five years.
- But the process to extend his term became bogged down in a series of disputes that had raised an outside chance that Mr. Mueller's tenure would be briefly interrupted. NYT > Home Page
- As a result, the area of the plateau outside the existing reserves was given the less restrictive tenure of conservation area.
- If, through their labors to transform misava into masimu, women established traditional tenure rights not explicitly recognized by patriliny, then likewise, through the everyday habits of farming, women learned, performed, and nurtured relationships that overlapped with, but ranged far beyond, blood - and marriage-based patrilineal kinship. Where Women Make History: Gendered Tellings of Community and Change in Magude, Mozambique
- Moreover, the legal status of leasehold titles needs clarification whilst provisions for the transfer and inheritance of leases will improve security of tenure.
- You are born-again, re-sobered, a former hardcore binge drinker and rumored huge fan of various illegal substances back in college, and you had at least one DUI arrest and went AWOL from the National Guard, and you've stashed away from public view all records of both your tenure as Texas governor, and those SEC investigations into your alleged insider trading. Chaos Theory:
- It may even date to Kay-drub's tenure as the second Holder of the Throne of The Shuk-den Affair: Origins of a Controversy (Part II)
- The hostels for Gujjar students established during the tenure of Sheikh Abdullah in the late 1970s are far from adequate to meet the rising demand.