[ UK /tˈɛmpt/ ]
[ US /ˈtɛmpt/ ]
[ US /ˈtɛmpt/ ]
dispose or incline or entice to
We were tempted by the delicious-looking food
- try to seduce
induce into action by using one's charm
She charmed him into giving her all his money
provoke someone to do something through (often false or exaggerated) promises or persuasion
He lured me into temptation
give rise to a desire by being attractive or inviting
the window displays tempted the shoppers
St. Anthony was tempted in the desert
How To Use tempt In A Sentence
- It sparked to life in the second act, when the symbolism gave way to themes of lust and sexual temptation.
- Which is stupid, considering the drivers around here A: Don't normally stop for people and in fact have been caught trying to sneak ~around~ them and B: I've been nicked several times and almost hit three times different instances last summer attempting to obey the biking laws, none of those for mistakes on my part as I've been scared shitless at the lack of aware driving that's crept over my town. The funny thing about Pain..... (Let's talk trauma!)
- Contrary to what has been claimed, the theory is not insulated against attempts to disconfirm it.
- The most interesting statistic on the list is the large number of accidents where the pilot attempted to land with the gear down with amphibious floats.
- With check-in times now prolonged because of security issues, traders are lapping up even more business as they tempt us with their trinkets and gewgaws.
- You see that you're undershooting and so, leaving the throttle as is, you attempt to flatten your descent path by lifting the nose a bit - and you enter the region of reverse command.
- And on the need for contempt powers, he recounted how officials at times refused to obey the orders.
- Airline officials are calling the attack a suicide attempt.
- Many people striving to get through the next fortnight of seemingly ceaseless spending may be tempted to spread the cost with a zero per cent credit card. Times, Sunday Times
- At around 11 am that day a pensioner foiled another attempted scam by a man and woman in Central Avenue, Gravesend.