- (Greek mythology) the oracle at Delphi where a priestess supposedly delivered messages from Apollo to those who sought advice; the messages were usually obscure or ambiguous
How To Use Temple of Apollo In A Sentence
- Especially the bit where Achilles has sacked the temple of Apollo and goes out onto the hilltop to raise his sword to the cheers of the army on the beach below.
- Above, on a terrace cut into the mountainside and supported by an unusual masonry wall, stood the temple of Apollo with, at its centre, the omphalos stone symbolically marking the centre of the earth.
- After hearing the complin vespers in the temporary chapel fitted up in that unfinished abbey of Westminster, which occupied the site of the temple of Apollo , the King and his guests repaired to their evening meal in the great hall of the palace. Harold : the Last of the Saxon Kings — Complete
- The most famous adytum in Greece was in the temple of Apollo at Delphi.
- As it is almost excluded that nothing of a potential Augustan peripteros was preserved, one has to reconstruct the Augustan Temple of Apollo Klarios as a simple naos of which the facade of the pronaos was shaped as a pseudo-peripteral naos (this means with attached half-columns instead of free standing ones) with smooth half-columns projecting from the antae and fluted half-column on either side of the door, all columns being crowned by Ionic half-capitals. Interactive Dig Sagalassos - Find of the Week 1 - 2008
- The river Stour was dammed to create the main serpentine lake, which is overlooked by the circular Temple of Apollo, high on a hill.