[ US /ˈtaɪˈwɑn/ ]
- an island in southeastern Asia 100 miles off the coast of mainland China in the South China Sea
- a government on the island of Taiwan established in 1949 by Chiang Kai-shek after the conquest of mainland China by the Communists led by Mao Zedong
How To Use Taiwan In A Sentence
- Taiwan grabbed two gold medals, two silvers and one bronze at the Athens Olympics.
- But protecting the right of a people to run no-accounts out of office and to have a real voice in decisions that affect them is dear to US and Taiwanese hearts.
- The northernmost point of land, the islet of YAmi in the Batan Islands, is separated from Taiwan by the Bashi Channel (c. 50 mi/80 km wide). Philippines
- In recent decades, Taiwan's aboriginals have endured neglect and discrimination.
- Taiwan formally calls itself the Republic of China.
- He describes himself sitting in a room with five children, aged ten to twelve, showing them a Taiwanese water dipping bird toy -- the little chotchke that tips back and forth into a well of water as though it's drinking. Susan Stiffelman: Education, Seth Godin, Factory Workers and the Taiwanese Water Bird
- The countries, which the think tank says should be " censured " by the G-20, include China, Malaysia, Singapore, Switzerland and Taiwan. The Search for a New Currency System
- the Taiwanese capital is Taipeh
- Helan shidai Taiwan gaolingji, hunyin yu xili denglubu 荷蘭時代臺灣告令集, 婚姻與洗禮登錄簿. How Taiwan Became Chinese
- The View from Taiwan: Orion antisub aircraft to arrive -- 5 years from now Orion antisub aircraft to arrive -- 5 years from now