- a member of a people who inhabited ancient Sumer
- of or relating to ancient Sumer or its inhabitants
How To Use Sumerian In A Sentence
- Around 3000 b.c., the Sumerians found that they could obtain copper from certain earths, or ores, by heating the earths with a source of carbon such as straw.
- Archaeological evidence dating back to the third millennium B.C.E. indicates that the main island probably was settled by Sumerians.
- The earliest samples of enamel using glass can be traced to before 2,500 B.C. to the Sumerian and Egyptian civilisations.
- However, the main reason for the difference between Egyptian Hieroglyphs and Sumerian pictograms came from the difference in the writing materials used by the two ancient civilizations.
- They were nearer the level of the ancient Sumerians or of the Maya civilization of America.
- Some of the first written stories deal with the Sumerian Goddess Inanna making a series of sacrifices, including the sacrifice of herself and then that of her faithless lover Dumuzi, in order to attain the wisdom of the Underworld.
- The question is only of secondary importance, but M. Halévy enlarges its scope by reopening the whole matter of debate between himself and M. Oppert as to the true character of what Assyriologists call the Sumerian language and written character. A History of Art in Chaldæa & Assyria, v. 1
- They were Sumerian and Akkadian words inscribed in parallel columns on clay tablets in cuneiform writing and were organized thematically.
- Saddam replaced some of the ancient Sumerian bricks containing the first language of cuneiform with his own inscriptions of self-aggrandizement. Rajai Hakki: An Arab-American Iraq War Veteran Returns to the Middle East,
- Kiln-fired bricks were invented by the Mesopotamians to create the complex towering ziggurats of the Sumerian and Babylonian empires.