[ UK /stɹˈɒŋ/ ]
[ US /ˈstɹɔŋ/ ]
[ US /ˈstɹɔŋ/ ]
not faint or feeble
a strong odor of burning rubber
being distilled rather than fermented; having a high alcoholic content
immune to attack; incapable of being tampered with
a secure telephone connection
fortifications that made the frontier inviolable
an impregnable fortress
of good quality and condition; solidly built
a solid foundation
several substantial timber buildings
strong and sure
a firm grasp
gave a strong pull on the rope
having or wielding force or authority
providing the ground soldier with increasingly potent weapons
of verbs not having standard (or regular) inflection
`sing' is a strong verb
freshly made or left
a warm trail
the scent is warm
having strength or power greater than average or expected
a strong radio signal
a strong man
having a strong physiological or chemical effect
a stiff drink
a potent toxin
a potent cup of tea
How To Use strong In A Sentence
- The only seriously bad bit is that you become less agile and less strong. Times, Sunday Times
- The overseer, a great strong man, cracking his "blacksnake" from time to time, to enforce authority, excited our strong indignation. 'Three Score Years and Ten' Life-Long Memories of Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and Other Parts of the West
- An empty plastic 2 litre bottle is tied to a rock, or bag of stones with strong twine or string.
- They are also less likely to get support from strong religious or spiritual beliefs.
- Most pseudocheirids have a strongly prehensile tail (weakly so in the great glider and rock ringtail).
- Several other recent transfers have been accompanied by a strong whiff of controversy.
- Only a very strong, perhaps only a globally dominant, power can sustain informal empire in the long run.
- Therefore, if the vaccine afforded protection for life, there would be a very strong argument in favor of universal vaccination - no chicken pox and no shingles.
- They are not people who crumble at the first sign of a strong opinion. Times, Sunday Times
- Before one embarks on this high flying experience, the organisers supply a crash helmet, and a safety waist belt which is securely tied with a long and strong rope to the huge multi-coloured parasail.