[ US /ˈsoʊɫ/ ]
[ UK /sˈəʊl/ ]
[ UK /sˈəʊl/ ]
- the immaterial part of a person; the actuating cause of an individual life
- deep feeling or emotion
a human being
there was too much for one person to do
a secular form of gospel that was a major Black musical genre in the 1960s and 1970s
soul was politically significant during the Civil Rights movement
the human embodiment of something
the soul of honor
How To Use soul In A Sentence
- The fall in popularity of the death's head and the subsequent prevalence of the cherub was a reflection of the Great Awakening and the belief in the immortality of the soul: "Cherubs reflect a stress on resurrection, while death's heads emphasize the mortality of man. Headstones for Dummies, the New York Edition
- Sometimes, when people die of heart failure, they first suffer angor animi, anguish of the soul. Times, Sunday Times
- They butchered the film, hacking and splicing it, grinding their heels into Sergio's soul.
- Then they become an anchor for your soul. Christianity Today
- This can not be done through any system of methods, neither are narrow interests or unexacting tasks sufficient to arouse all that the soul has now to give. The Unfolding Life A Study of Development with Reference to Religious Training
- When women give up their souls to the ultimate colonization known as heteronormative existence, they lose their shot at greatness. Women's Space
- Words regarding the necessity to change the souls of human beings to effect real change in the world should not be interpreted to mean that black religious leaders were adopting a quietistic approach to civil rights.
- Its markings were unmistakeable, as were the large, soulless, jet black eyes.
- The sound is a direct descendant of old skool UK garage, the bumpy beats of yore with rubbery basslines and cutting edge sampling techniques, taking in everything from soul to electro to jazz to blue grass.
- February 26, 2005 03: 43 schlarb: re: Soul-Junk chronology: all of the full length records run in ascending order from 1950 through, most recently, 1958. conversely all the EP's run in decending order from 1949 through, again most recently, 1937. Not one to shy away from a challenge (Music (For Robots))