any digit of a number that is known with certainty; any digit of a number beginning with the leftmost non-zero digit and ending with the rightmost non-zero digit (or a zero considered to be the exact value)
he calculated the answer to four significant figures
How To Use significant figure In A Sentence
- When, however, the little insignificant figure we have described approached so nigh as to receive some interruption from the warders, he dashed his dusky green turban from his head, showed that his beard and eyebrows were shaved like those of a professed buffoon, and that the expression of his fantastic and writhen features, as well as of his little black eyes, which glittered like jet, was that of a crazed imagination. The Talisman
- The new prosperity of the cities made the metropolitan bishops significant figures in art patronage in the 13th and 14th centuries.
- The most significant figure in British racecourse management is to leave his post. Times, Sunday Times
- If we are to start repealing honors we can begin much closer to home, with much less significant figures and with much punier accomplishments, than with Columbus and the European discovery of the western hemisphere. The Volokh Conspiracy » Christopher Columbus — Hero or Villain?
- He was that rare bird, a significant figure in two fields, both art and science.
- Not widely known today, Thomas Dawes was a significant figure in the history of the architecture of colonial and Federal America.
- It remains the only significant figure in the debit column of the 17th Commonwealth Games.
- he calculated the answer to four significant figures
- He was at this time a significant figure — tall, lean, inquisitorial, clerkly — with nice, smooth, closely-cropped side whiskers coming to almost the lower lobes of his ears. The Financier
- As he characteristically points out in straightforward terms --- the last time a significant figure in "Austrian" economics was born in Austria it was the 19th century, so what does it mean to use the term Austrian? The Austrian Economists: