- pronunciation with a sibilant (hissing or whistling) sound
a fricative sound (especially as an expression of disapproval)
the performers could not be heard over the hissing of the audience
How To Use sibilation In A Sentence
- The other characteristic feature, which Frisian has carried on a step farther than English, is the assibilation of velars before front vowels.
- The second type of evidence, based on the behaviour of dental stops vis-à-vis the process of assibilation, shows that two consonants not separated at the underlying level by one of the full vowels/a, i, u/are adjacent at the surface.
- I revisited this community to collect data to compare the current findings with the ones yielded in a former study where I contrasted the assibilation in Mexico and in the United States.
- Gay men are not the only group whose members sometimes speak with assibilation.