[ US /ˈʃaɪ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈaɪ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈaɪ/ ]
stood in the doorway diffident and abashed
a very unsure young man
problems that call for bold not timid responses
eleven is one shy of a dozen
wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things
shy of strangers
- throw quickly
- start suddenly, as from fright
a quick throw
he gave the ball a shy to the first baseman
How To Use shy In A Sentence
- Behold the mermaid blanket, a fishy update on that hygge groundbreaker, the slanket. Times, Sunday Times
- Or did her pushy mother and absent father turn her life into a sordid soap opera? Times, Sunday Times
- He was one of the first 19th century sailors who tamed the seas through science, inventing systems for transporting cannon over marshy ground, ciphers for code and a system of hydrographical surveys.
- This nifty little thriller opens with the arresting image of a nebbishy accountant being dangled over the side of a bridge.
- The south slope is more gentle and ends in a marshy bay.
- My beagle chases rabbits which is basically the same as pointing birds and I have shot over her and she is nowhere near gunshy. Why are dogs used for upland bird hunting considered gun dogs while Beagles and other non-birddogs are not?
- Slicked-back hair, a bushy Italian mustache, sleeveless Iggy Pop T-shirt, cut to show his shoulder tats - "wham" across the left, "pow" on the right. Las Vegas Sun Stories: All Sun Headlines
- We do learn that Olive was wild and independent, refusing to live as a shy ingénue.
- _Phyllocactus_ in having the branches dilated into the form of fleshy leaves, but differ in haying them divided into short truncate leaf-like portions, which are articulated, that is to say, provided with a joint by which they separate spontaneously; the margins are crenate or dentate, and the flowers, which are large and showy, magenta or crimson, appear at the apex of the terminal joints. Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 4, Part 4 "Bulgaria" to "Calgary"
- The white fleshy oviduct is extruded, and the eggs are squeezed out.