[ US /ˈʃədɝ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈʌdɐ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈʌdɐ/ ]
an almost pleasurable sensation of fright
a frisson of surprise shot through him
- an involuntary vibration (as if from illness or fear)
shake, as from cold
The children are shivering--turn on the heat!
- tremble convulsively, as from fear or excitement
How To Use shudder In A Sentence
- This policy could bring that programme to a shuddering halt. Times, Sunday Times
- ‘If we fail, send reinforcements…’ Her voice trailed away again, and they saw her shudder.
- It reduces engine shudder and powers the moving parts much more efficiently, being directly connected to the drivetrain. The Sun
- As she embraced him, she felt his shrunken arms and shuddered; the muscular vibrance that had always been the essence of his personality was completely absent. Empire of Dreams
- The crew braces for shock, the boat shudders and a giant plume of boat wash is the only mark left in the faint moonlight as the boat races forward into harm's way.
- I'm not sure I could live in a world where the potential of a spider with googlie eyes chasing me is possible. *shudder* 3. Spiders don't have smiley faces. And Now the Conclusion of The Spider Wreck Chronicles
- That Malkin b! tch is a mother (* shudder*) and she ought to know better. Think Progress » Thiessen’s Inconsistency Undermines Claim That Detainee Lawyers Can’t Be Compared To John Adams
- To him however that feels the same disgust and loathing, the same unutterable shuddering, as I feel, start up within him and shoot through his whole frame at the sight of them, these miscreate deformities, such as toads, beetles, or that most nauseous of all Nature's abortions, the bat, are not indifferent or insignificant: their very existence is a state of direct enmity and warfare against his. The Old Man of the Mountain, The Lovecharm and Pietro of Abano Tales from the German of Tieck
- A moment later, the dead boy's chest heaved in a last agonal gasp, a deep groan shuddering his body, his bed, my soul. Titrate until comfortable
- But the taxidermy art gives me the shudders. Times, Sunday Times