[ UK /ʃˈʌvəlɐ/ ]
- freshwater duck of the northern hemisphere having a broad flat bill
a worker who shovels
a shoveler of coal
How To Use shoveller In A Sentence
- The merry men included the ice-carrier, the magnetician, the two wardens of the dogs, the snow-shoveller and coal-carrier and the storeman. The Home of the Blizzard Being the Story of the Australasian Antarctic Expedition, 1911-1914
- Bird species like garganey, gadwall, mallard, shoveller, pintail and wigeon use the lake in transit.
- He was apparently a jug-eared coal shoveller who worked 70 ft below decks and died when the ship went down.
- Cancer: The realization that you are a better cook, chef, and bottle washer than the local shoveller of foodstuffs will come to you suddenly early this week. Horoscope for the week of March 9, 2008
- The development of this wildlife site is ongoing with new hides to aid the study and photography of shelduck, dunlin, lapwing, golden plover and shoveller duck that have recently bred on Mangan's Lough.
- We saw and admired the fine, comb-like plates on either side of the shoveller's bill, through which it filter feeds, something which is almost impossible to see even through binoculars.
- When earth has to be thrown further than that of which a shoveller is capable, a relay may be established. 1.1. Survey of local conditions and site reconnaissance
- I am clearly a right-handed shoveller because trying to shovel with my left hand was like trying to shovel with a spoon - painful to watch.
- Fair dos; they have mortgages and families to support; nevertheless I think that the humblest Bangladeshi shit-shoveller shows more integrity in the pursuit of his métier than the average Murdoch hack. Archive 2009-09-01
- Examples of dabbling ducks are the mallards, cinnamon teals, shovellers, green and blue-winged teals, pintails, black ducks, baldpates and gadwalls.