[ UK /ʃˈʌvəl/ ]
[ US /ˈʃəvəɫ/ ]
[ US /ˈʃəvəɫ/ ]
dig with or as if with a shovel
he shovelled in the backyard all afternoon long
- a hand tool for lifting loose material; consists of a curved container or scoop and a handle
- the quantity a shovel can hold
- a fire iron consisting of a small shovel used to scoop coals or ashes in a fireplace
- a machine for excavating
How To Use shovel In A Sentence
- Only ran for about 300 miles. 509-720-9393 $1700 o.b.o. i can email some pics chopper bobber tranny panhead shovelhead harley parts Craigslist | all for sale / wanted in los angeles
- It is patent that dusk found them weary and worn, plodding and wading silently "homewards," shovel on shoulder, across four or five kilos of desolate mud; falling and tripping over stagnant bodies, masses of tangled wire, bricks and jagged wood-work everywhere impeding progress. Norman Ten Hundred A Record of the 1st (Service) Bn. Royal Guernsey Light Infantry
- Big steamshovels dug up the ore and loaded it onto the cars and brought it into what they called the washer, where it was washed. Oral History Interview with Eula McGill, February 3, 1976. Interview G-0040-1. Southern Oral History Program Collection (#4007)
- I ended up walking on the unshovelled areas in order to have a more secure footing.
- Carpenter scrambled out of the pocket, pulled up at the line of scrimmage and shoveled the ball to Thompson, who outleaped two defenders under the goal post. USATODAY.com
- Black paid twenty-six dollars for the brass andirons, stamped ‘John Molineux / Boston,’ and the matching, but unstamped, shovel and tongs.
- Hundreds of parishioners were working with bare hands, shovels and harrows, extending the church by burrowing out a crypt.
- The number of self-proclaimed experts on the internet only proves the point that one should take advice with a "shovelful" of salt. A Shovelful of Salt, Part II: Trigger Weight and Gun Safety
- When the shovelers come by, they shovel the bread, rats and spoiled meat into the sausage vats.
- Back in the 1870s, when the project began, the 480-foot-long pit was dug with shovels, picks, burros, and a whole lot of muscle.