[ US /ˈʃoʊɫdɝ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈəʊldɐ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈəʊldɐ/ ]
- the part of the body between the neck and the upper arm
- a cut of meat including the upper joint of the foreleg
- a ball-and-socket joint between the head of the humerus and a cavity of the scapula
the part of a garment that covers or fits over the shoulder
an ornamental gold braid on the shoulder of his uniform
a narrow edge of land (usually unpaved) along the side of a road
the car pulled off onto the shoulder
push with the shoulders
He shouldered his way into the crowd
- lift onto one's shoulders
carry a burden, either real or metaphoric
shoulder the burden
How To Use shoulder In A Sentence
- As Appling reached down for the ball, it took a bad hop and caromed off his shoulder.
- I turned up at the school yard with my hippie backpack slung over one shoulder feeling pretty cool. Times, Sunday Times
- He was a strapping lad with broad shoulders and quite tall.
- The styles are simple, with set-in shoulders, pared-down forms and the type of finish you might expect from ready-to-wear. When Just Any Old Lycra Won't Do
- As Locke and Jean stumbled to their feet, the door on the wall opposite the window slammed open, and in stepped a broad-shouldered man with the slablike muscles of a stevedore or a smith. Archive 2008-07-01
- Paul Temple pushes through a field of shoulder-high oilseed rape and twists one of the plants back to show me.
- It is patent that dusk found them weary and worn, plodding and wading silently "homewards," shovel on shoulder, across four or five kilos of desolate mud; falling and tripping over stagnant bodies, masses of tangled wire, bricks and jagged wood-work everywhere impeding progress. Norman Ten Hundred A Record of the 1st (Service) Bn. Royal Guernsey Light Infantry
- Lia was looking around her shoulder, as if she was expecting a stampede of wild animals to come charging down the corner.
- Webb had shoulder surgery in August, a so-called "debridement" procedure that amounted to a clean-up of his rotator cuff and labrum. azcentral.com | news
- As she got up and moved to support him, she noticed some strange dark stains on his left shoulder, which had been hidden under the pelisse before.