[ UK /ʃˈɔːtənd/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɔɹtənd/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɔɹtənd/ ]
shortened by or as if by means of parts that slide one within another or are crushed one into another
a miracle that anyone survived in the telescoped cars
years that seemed telescoped like time in a dream
a sawed-off broomstick
a sawed-off shotgun
the shortened rope was easier to use
with parts removed
the drastically cut film
cut short in duration
the abbreviated speech
her shortened life was clearly the result of smoking
an unsatisfactory truncated conversation
How To Use shortened In A Sentence
- Klimt's tentative chalk and pencil strokes do little more than outline and emphasize the foreshortened legs, buttocks and genitalia of his subjects, their scrawled lifelessness compromising the images' erotic impact. Modernism's Austrian Rebels
- If you used the shortened form, you'd just say "in-laws' house", but since you're using the full form, it's correct to pluralise the noun and not the modifier ('parents' rather than 'in law'), and then make the entire term possessive, because it's acting as a noun cluster. ("parents-in-law's") The Skinny Kitten Story (In Which I Am Both A Liar And A Kitten Thief)
- There they gather short, or editor-shortened, letters in which correspondents with opposing views slug away at each other on a topic selected by the editor.
- The Swahili term of respect for a woman is Bibi (pronounced beebee and sometimes shortened to bi (bee)). N.D.Y., cats and the name game.
- The play was shortened by the omission of two scenes.
- Copy a URL from a browser window or wherever, type % _tarrow in an IM window, and hit enter - you'll send a tinyarro. ws shortened version of the URL. Softpedia - Windows - All
- But I am saying that every analysis that is shortened, every corner that is cut, moves us further away from the truth until what is left is the Cliffs Notes of the news, or what I call strobe-light journalism, in which the outlines are accurate enough but we cannot really see the whole picture. Sunday Reading
- Management multiplied the camera angles, narrowed the strike zone, sodded the diamonds and the gridirons with AstroTurf, enlarged the jumbotrons, shortened the distance to the outfield fences, strengthened the golf clubs, adjusted the rules and the clocks to allow more time for the beer and truck commercials, bulked up the salaries paid to players bulked up to resemble the designated hitters in World of Warcraft. Lewis Lapham: Field of Dreams: The CIA and Me and Other Adventures in American Sports
- Lengthy planning and re-planning typically resulted in a shortened development phase, which in turn resulted in the development phase being consistently frantic and reliably late.
- The gun that came out of Devel as a Basic Combat Conversion, shortened and electroless nickeled, looked like it grew that size, but still packed a punch.