[ UK /ʃˈɒkɪŋli/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɑkɪŋɫi/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɑkɪŋɫi/ ]
so as to shock the feelings
Suddenly, shockingly, the clergyman's son was a desperado.
One day, she lost her temper, completely, suddenly and, even to herself, shockingly
they behaved shockingly at the funeral
teachers were shockingly underpaid
How To Use shockingly In A Sentence
- The province takes a laissez faire approach in administering the hunting and trapping of wolves in BC, which is based simply on the reproductive potential of the species, and shockingly, without knowledge of wolf numbers. Chris Genovali: The Death Cults Among Us
- They are shockingly gracile and incredibly long-bodied, with a shape that (when seen in dorsal view) has been likened to that of a champagne flute. A 6 ton model, and a baby that puts on 90 kg a day: rorquals part I
- The young woman had acquired (right after receiving her fourth -- mandatory -- anthrax shot) a shockingly precipitous mystery disease, eventually diagnosed as a bizarrely speeded-up form of ametropic lateral sclerosis -- she lost in three months the amount of muscle function a middle aged ALS sufferer would lose in four years. Sheila Weller: In This Case, A Soldier Was Treated Beautifully at Walter Reed
- Mother Clap's Molly House is a camp spectacle reminiscent of music hall and it has some shockingly funny one liners.
- There is a scene in which he must pierce her ears to wear the borrowed earring, and it is shockingly erotic.
- She began assembling a gray, plastic castlelike house that looked shockingly like her own. Strangers at the Feast
- As an oldies act, his nasal whine, shockingly similar to his father's distinctive voice, grates on the nerves in stereo.
- Your belief to the contrary is also shockingly false. Matthew Yglesias » Ungovernable America
- It's like he was slowly coming to the realization that the grand finale of the magnificent journey had come to this shockingly humbling ending.
- In a shockingly inaccurate critique of QuAM for focusing on "revelry" as opposed to "awareness", the Editorial Board not only passes judgment on an arbitrary conception of education, but participates in the stigmatization of LGBT sexuality. Columbia Spectator - News, sports, and entertainment coverage for the Morningside Heights community in New York City.