How To Use shivaree In A Sentence
- I am researching all aspects of shivarees, and would be interested in hearing about what people in your area think about the reasons for shivarees, what kinds of things happen or happened at them, and how people react or reacted to them.
- It became a custom, in anticipation of a "shivaree," to send round word to Mrs. Ferris not to be afraid, the shooting was all in fun. Roosevelt in the Bad Lands
- Regional Note: Shivaree is the most common American regional form of charivari, a French word meaning "a noisy mock serenade for newlyweds" and probably deriving in turn from a Late Latin word meaning "headache. The WELL: Sugaree
- Well, anyway, when Bill and the girl got married, the boys came to 'shivaree' them. The Second Chance
- I've helped run people's underwear up flag poles, put garlic on toothbrushes, books in pillows, broken crackers in beds (does anyone else still remember a "shivaree"?), and short-sheeted beds. Undefined
- Right, but I did once read that Sugaree per Lizabeth Cotton (Cotten?) was dervied ultimately from shivaree which is I believe an south asian or middle eastern word? The WELL: Sugaree
- So in blind desperation I started such a rattling 'shivaree' down below as never had astounded an engineer in this world before, I fancy. Life on the Mississippi, Part 2.
- The word shivaree is especially common along and west of the Mississippi River. The WELL: Sugaree
- I came to tell you that there's a scheme to raise -- to 'shivaree' you two, tonight. Lonesome Land