[ UK /ʃˈaɪə/ ]
[ US /ˈʃaɪɹ/ ]
[ US /ˈʃaɪɹ/ ]
- British breed of large heavy draft horse
- a former administrative district of England; equivalent to a county
How To Use shire In A Sentence
- Some archaeologists have been championing the culture of pre-Roman Britain for some time and the Shropshire road may confirm that traders were bringing back continental innovations to add to existing native achievements in art and engineering. Letters: Native culture of pre-Roman Britain
- Like other police forces, Wiltshire constabulary is not setting up a special squad or unit to deal with possible hunting law infringements.
- Mrs King is being supported by her husband Simon, a police inspector with Wiltshire Constabulary, who is also a seasoned runner.
- The cup-marked stone shown below, in the Sma’ Glen, near Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, is situated in a large man-made concave-shaped amphitheatre in the hills, and has a prominent dumb-bell shaped cup-mark on its surface.
- Yorkshire abused by such a pitiful prater; and when wrought up to a certain pitch, she would turn and say something of which neither the matter nor the manner recommended her to Mr. Donne's good - will. Shirley, by Charlotte Bronte
- An eye-catching floral tribute to England rugby star Jonny Wilkinson helped Doncaster to shine in this year's Yorkshire in Bloom competition.
- ‘I might be from Ayrshire, but I don't want to wait until I'm deid,’ she told O'Hagan.
- Roman Lancashire was a quiet place, but not the back water that some historians have made of it.
- Once upon a time, I was a camp counselor in scenic New Hampshire, where I taught swimming. 'America's Next Top Model' recap: Commercial success | EW.com
- Journalists in Shropshire are threatening to ballot for industrial action claiming managers are refusing to answer their questions about job cuts. Strike threat at the Shropshire Star