- a member of the branch of Islam that regards Ali as the legitimate successor to Mohammed and rejects the first three caliphs
How To Use Shiite Muslim In A Sentence
- Violence increased December 27, which coincided with the Shiite Muslim holy day of Ashura.
- Arif Ali/AFP/Getty Images RELIGIOUS RITE: Shiite Muslims flagellated themselves during a religious procession on Monday in Lahore, Pakistan, as Ashura processions began. Photos of the Day: Dec. 5
- Its proximity to Iran and the fact that the majority of its citizens are Shiite Muslims can dominate your vision of Azerbaijan until you realize that the most impressive public building in Baku is not a mosque but a copy of the grand casino at Monte Carlo. Excerpt: The Orientalist by Tom Reiss
- The Shiite Muslims who predominate there revere Hizbullah for pressuring Israel to withdraw in 2000.
- It is hoped that efforts to better conserve the country's myriad sites could also boost tourism, which is now heavily dependent on Shiite Muslim pilgrims visiting Iraq's various religious shrines.
- Security had been beefed up in the city as in the other parts of Pakistan for the Islamic holy month of Moharram, which is often marred by sectarian violence between Sunni and Shiite Muslims. Election Fears in Pakistan Build
- The Omayyad dynasty of caliphs ruled from Damascus until 750, when Shiite Muslims, who descended from the caliph Ali, massacred the Omayyad family.
- Above U.S. soldiers inspect the scene of a double bombing close to a bus station in the Shiite Muslim district of Bayah in western Baghdad on Feb. 11 2009.
- David Guttenfelder/Associated Press MARKING MUHARRAM: Pakistani Shiite Muslims beat their chests during a Muharram procession in Lahore, Pakistan, Tuesday. Today's Photos: Jan. 6
- The chief ayatollah of the Shiite Muslims in Iraq says he wants direct democratic elections to take place.