- the branch of Islam that regards Ali as the legitimate successor to Mohammed and rejects the first three caliphs
How To Use Shiism In A Sentence
- Akhbari Shiism has never promoted political control
- The goal, it suggested, was to weaken Sunni Arab states so as to realise "Safavid dreams" of Shia expansion, a reference to the 16th-century dynasty that enshrined Shiism as Iran's state religion.
- The very first Islamic schism between the Sunni's literally-deist absolutism, and the anthropomorphic rationalism based on the imamate and the cult of saints in the Shiism, had its early beginnings in Egypt. Amir Madani: ElBaradei Against the Mummified Power of Pharaoh
- Usuli Shiism produced the politically active caste of priests that is a distinctive feature of Iranian Shiism