[ US /ˈʃɪbəˌɫɛθ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈɪbəʊləθ/ ]
[ UK /ʃˈɪbəʊləθ/ ]
- a favorite saying of a sect or political group
- a manner of speaking that is distinctive of a particular group of people
How To Use shibboleth In A Sentence
- And the mummy's return to life always seems to be caused by some archeologist's hubristic violation of some ancient shibboleth, which, like Shelley's interpretive intervention in the 1831 preface, encourages us to see the story as a conflict between authority and the overreacher, between age and youth, between fathers and sons. 'Mummy, possest': Sadism and Sensibility in Shelley's _Frankenstein_
- It is more or less free of regional, class, and other shibboleths, although the issue of a ‘standard accent’ often causes trouble and tension.
- It is time to go beyond the shibboleth that conventional forces cannot deter.
- It is mandatory reading for the high school and college students who are spoon-fed the politically correct shibboleths that obscure an understanding of the men to whom we owe a unique debt of gratitude for our freedom.
- If you talked of hard-money, you were denounced as a Benton bullionist; if you talked of credit, you were called a Whig banker, plotting to devour the poor; and the calmest phrases of science were turned into the shibboleths of an internecine warfare. The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 01, No. 01, November, 1857 A Magazine of Literature, Art, and Politics
- Ideological liberalism and cutthroat business tactics went hand in hand with a slackened commitment to the traditional journalistic shibboleths of objectivity and accuracy in reporting.
- The various shocks that have convulsed the Japanese economy in the past decade have tested traditional management shibboleths to destruction.
- As with the country's crusade against communism, the pointless violence reflects America's own shibboleths, fears, and internal politics rather than meaningful policy.
- “A shibboleth is a test—a way to separate da wheat from da chaff that's as old as the Bible, but as new as the latest trend in men's fashions,” Gus says. Our Merchant-Ivory Weekend
- I am looking to add a new feature to integrate Shibboleth (Open source) into our website.