[ UK /ʃˈɛlɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɛɫɪŋ/ ]
[ US /ˈʃɛɫɪŋ/ ]
the heavy fire of artillery to saturate an area rather than hit a specific target
they laid down a barrage in front of the advancing troops
the shelling went on for hours without pausing
How To Use shelling In A Sentence
- Heavy shelling and bombardment rocked Somalias restive capital Mogadishu on Sunday, claiming the lives of at least 14 people Drag to Playlist WN.com - Business News
- The United Nations said it was gravely concerned at the shelling of a Palestinian refugee camp in Latakia.
- Unless the AP is leaving something out, the only enticement ObamaTour offers would-be visitors is the prospect of shelling out a sawbuck. Mirror, Mirror
- When we asked the secretary that evening how he had liked the ordeal he said he could hardly describe his feelings whilst it lasted, but when the shelling ceased it was the heavenliest sensation of his life. With Steyn and De Wet
- Within two hours of the deadline passing there were reports of intense shelling and airstrikes in Aleppo. Times, Sunday Times
- The cells similarly fire when the monkeys observe a person shelling peanuts and then hear peanut shells being broken apart.
- You can't replace it just by shelling out more when you have some spare cash again. Times, Sunday Times
- The water wasn’t safe either: at the beach I saw tots dressed in flotation belts and water wings — for shelling along the shore. Safer Playgrounds Still Dangerous | Impact Lab
- The UN has suspended relief flights because of shelling around the airport.
- So you have the original and you bought the re-mastered version last year - why should you keep shelling out the bucks to these money-grubbers?