[ UK /ʃˈæbɪnəs/ ]
- a lack of elegance as a consequence of wearing threadbare or dirty clothing
- an unjust act
How To Use shabbiness In A Sentence
- Colonel Kenton now saw the unhandsomeness of his leaving his wife at all, and he beheld in its true light his shabbiness in not going back to tell her he had found his old friend and was to bring him to dinner. A Fearful Responsibility and Other Stories
- There are holes in the material and it is roughly stitched together, its shabbiness evoking the deprivations of post-war Europe.
- -- OED self-deprecation, shabbiness and eccentricity - ochlophobic traits, to be sure The Ochlophobist
- Leicester Square which is a centre of attraction to indifferent foreign hotels and indifferent foreigners, racket – courts, fighting – men, swordsmen, footguards, old china, gaming – houses, exhibitions, and a large medley of shabbiness and shrinking out of sight. Bleak House
- The theatre over, Mr. George comes across the water again and makes his way to that curious region lying about the Haymarket and Leicester Square which is a centre of attraction to indifferent foreign hotels and indifferent foreigners, racket-courts, fighting - men, swordsmen, footguards, old china, gaming-houses, exhibitions, and a large medley of shabbiness and shrinking out of sight. Bleak House
- Confucius said, ‘Lavishness leads to arrogance, frugality leads to shabbiness, but it is better to be shabby than arrogant’.
- ‘Meanness’ connotes not only the personal characteristics of spite, unkindness, or aggression, but also the social conditions of shabbiness and impoverishment.
- The omnifarious assembly included pale, prim-whiskered young clerks; shabby, lonely, sallow young women, whose sallowness and shabbiness stamped them with the mark of integrity; other females whose specious splendor was not nearly so reassuring; old men, broken-down men, middle-aged men of every description, except the well-to-do. Short Story Classics (American) Vol. 2
- He was surprised at the general shabbiness of things, quite different from the equipage of the Vargas family. TROPIC OF NIGHT
- During my visit, the city was drenched in seasonal rains, but it bathes year-round in a deep-set shabbiness. The Next Empire