[ UK /sˈɜːv/ ]
[ US /ˈsɝv/ ]
[ US /ˈsɝv/ ]
do military service
My sons never served, because they are short-sighted
She served in Vietnam
spend time in prison or in a labor camp
He did six years for embezzlement
serve a purpose, role, or function
The tree stump serves as a table
The female students served as a control group
This table would serve very well
His freedom served him well
The table functions as a desk
provide (usually but not necessarily food)
She dished out the soup at 8 P.M.
We serve meals for the homeless
The entertainers served up a lively show
be used by; as of a utility
The garage served to shelter his horses
The sewage plant served the neighboring communities
promote, benefit, or be useful or beneficial to
Their interests are served
Art serves commerce
The lake serves recreation
The President's wisdom has served the country well
be sufficient; be adequate, either in quality or quantity
A `B' grade doesn't suffice to get me into medical school
Nothing else will serve
A few words would answer
Will $100 do?
This car suits my purpose well
help to some food; help with food or drink
I served him three times, and after that he helped himself
do duty or hold offices; serve in a specific function
He served as head of the department for three years
She served in Congress for two terms
contribute or conduce to
The scandal served to increase his popularity
put the ball into play
It was Agassi's turn to serve
deliver a warrant or summons to someone
He was processed by the sheriff
work for or be a servant to
The minister served the King for many years
She attends the old lady in the wheelchair
Is a salesperson assisting you?
May I serve you?
Can you wait on our table, please?
male animals serve the females for breeding purposes
devote (part of) one's life or efforts to, as of countries, institutions, or ideas
He served the church
She served the art of music
serve the country
(sports) a stroke that puts the ball in play
his powerful serves won the game
How To Use serve In A Sentence
- A little pyrotechnics display tacked on just serves to emphasise its lack of cutting edge. Times, Sunday Times
- With no personal stake in the performance scene, Priyambada continues to be one of the most objective observers and commentators of the Odissi scene.
- Serve the chicken with salads and chips or potatoes. Times, Sunday Times
- Malory won the toss and will serve.
- Success is neither a gift nor a blessing. Success is what you deserve. You work for and earn your success. Dr T.P.Chia
- Instead, the thin sandy developments defining the sequence boundaries suggest sandy sabkhas and sand sheets supplied by this undersaturated wind system and only preserved as a consequence of renewed lake-level rise.
- Other products include extended-shelf-life and aseptic products in single-serve containers sold at convenience stores and multipacks at club stores.
- Pile each croute with the prawn mixture and serve at once. The Sun
- ‘Behind the scenes there are still a number of points that deserve attention,’ the unidentified official said, according to the semi-official Central News Agency.
- There will always be debate about who deserves honours, all of it highly subjective.