- the Slavic language of the Serbs and Croats; the Serbian dialect is usually written in the Cyrillic alphabet and the Croatian dialect is usually written in the Roman alphabet
How To Use Serbo-Croat In A Sentence
- Wolfe cut her off, but I can't report what he said because it was in Serbo-Croatian, of which I know maybe fifteen words. MURDER IN E MINOR
- If you want to read one chapter from an obscure textbook about Serbo-Croatian poetry in the 1920s, there might be five books on the subject, but 10 with chapters on the topic.
- Also, in addition to its increasingly popular Al Jazeera English, the network will soon offer new channels in Turkish, Swahili, and Serbo-Croatian - all costly projects with uncertain benefits. Philip Seib: Al Jazeera at 15 Years
- The Serbo-Croatians, for instance, picked up the English word nylon, but took it to mean a kind of shabby and disreputable variation, so that a nylon hotel is a ` brothel 'while a nylon beach is where nudists frolic. VERBATIM: The Language Quarterly Vol XVII No 4
- Serbo-Croatian belongs to the Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family.
- I used to know how to say "Did you ever participate in an Air Raid?" in Serbo-Croatian, from an Army manual from WW2, and when I lived in NYC & went to Chinatown functions frequented by local pols, my girlfriend taught me to say "Are you corrupt?" in Mandarin - all the grinning ignorant Public Servants reflexively replied "yes, yes" when I asked them, to the delight of the Chinese at the table. An idea to save newspapers (Jack Bog's Blog)
- Much of the love talk offered in Appland appears to have been translated by a computer from the original Serbo-Croatian. What's App With That? Mobile Devices and the State of Love
- By the way, none of this is to suggest that the designation “Serbo-Croatian” is or should be politically or culturally neutral, or that its use effectively sidesteps the fact that the languages of the former Yugoslavia have indeed evolved on distinct paths since the Middle Ages.1 But to get back to your free trip to Italy, there are arguably at least as many tongues on that side of the Adriatic. The English Is Coming!
- He based this on reading it in Polish, Magyar, Serbo-Croatian, Czech, German and English. Put this one on your list
- He stared at her; she might as well having been talking in Serbo-Croat. FALLEN WOMEN