[ UK /sˈɛnʃənt/ ]
endowed with feeling and unstructured consciousness
the living knew themselves just sentient puppets on God's stage
a boy so sentient of his surroundings
sentient of the intolerable load
How To Use sentient In A Sentence
- But the teaching also touched sentient beings as moral agents, as agents capable of affecting the welfare not only of themselves but of others as well.
- Of course it is circular in the sense that, based on my proffered definition, since intelligence ultimately permeates all aspects of being, what we call sentient beings (life forms) are simply different manifestations of intelligence playing with itself, or as one old text puts it in the title: 'You are the Eyes of the Universe.' Telic Thoughts
- The animation of insentient or nonhuman entities produces an effect of cacophony and distraction.
- Livy (XXXII 22 1) has a _murmur_ of mingled praise and dissent following a speech: '_murmur_ ortum aliorum cum adsensu, aliorum inclementer adsentientes increpantium'. The Last Poems of Ovid
- What to do if machines become sentient? Times, Sunday Times
- What then do we do when the computer is as sentient as we are?
- When this arises together with the aspiration to attain full enlightenment, then you have realized bodhichitta, that is, the altruistic intention to become fully enlightened for the sake of all sentient beings. Training the Mind: Verse 7
- It reminds me of what it'd be like if one of our probes ever landed on a planet with sentient life.
- Though we call prussic acid the agent of a person’s death, the whole of the vital and organic properties of the patient are as actively instrumental as the poison, in the chain of effects which so rapidly terminates his sentient existence. A System Of Logic, Ratiocinative And Inductive (Vol. 1 of 2)
- Mr. Smith with that little account (that particular little account) has called presentient of your arrival, and has left word that he will call to-morrow morning at ten. The History of Pendennis, Volume 2 His Fortunes and Misfortunes, His Friends and His Greatest Enemy