[ US /ˈsɛɫfkənˈteɪnd/ ]
in full control of your faculties
more self-contained and more dependable than many of the early frontiersmen
the witness remained collected throughout the cross-examination
strong and self-possessed in the face of trouble
perfectly poised and sure of himself
constituting a complete and independent unit in and of itself
the university is like a self-contained city with shops and all amenities
How To Use self-contained In A Sentence
- For those of you unfamiliar with the term "pylon," for our purposes today, a pylon is a self-contained package of six cruise missiles that can be quickly mounted to the wing of a B-52. DOD Briefing on B-52 Munitions and the Bent Spear Incident
- Under the "fly-in fly-out" roster system, workers can be moved to a different self-contained unit, or "donga", rather than having their own rooms, as they have had in the past. Latest News - Yahoo!7 News
- These brave soldiers will be maintained in self-contained biospheres, like giant lizards from another star, which given the moral status of their behavior, they might as well be.
- Lucky for me I brought the full-faced respirator and self-contained breathing apparatus with me.
- The next agent of this class, isoproterenol, did not appear until 1949 and the self-contained metered-dose inhaler to deliver it was invented in 1956.
- The state also cited Cobalt's miners for failing to wear their air packs, called self-contained self-rescuers, and for failing to have a cache of the devices within reach. TV series 'Coal' brings citations, new business to Cobalt
- It is resolvedly whole, self-contained, desiring nothing but rightness, content with restricted completion. Tall or short, it will be straight.
- Will the owners of townhouses carve out self-contained flats in the attic or the basement to avoid the annual toll? Times, Sunday Times
- Acadian farms, dependent on dikes and the development of marshland, were self-contained and achieved high levels of production of cereals and apples, and then of livestock.
- Customs occupy a self-contained area within accommodation provided for freight companies requiring offices without warehousing.