- Macedonian general who accompanied Alexander the Great into Asia; founded a line of kings who reigned in Asia Minor until 65 BC (358-281 BC)
How To Use Seleucus In A Sentence
- In the decisive battle of Ipsus in 301 B.C. the overshadowing power of Antigonus was broken and the control of southwestern Asia was divided between Seleucus and Ptolemy. The Makers and Teachers of Judaism
- -- I am much obliged to "SELEUCUS" for his answer to this inquiry, as far as regards the seignory of Gower. Notes and Queries, Number 24, April 13, 1850
- Seleucus IV Philopater (loving his father) succeeded Antiochus III, and during his reign the empire gradually recovered strength. 223-187
- But Demetrius, whose courage did not sink, resolutely sent him answer, that, though he were to lose ten thousand battles like that of Ipsus, he would pay no price for the good-will of such a son-in-law as Seleucus. The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans
- After Alexander's death, Seleucus gained the satrapy of Babylonia, which was to form the core of his later kingdom.