[ UK /sɪlˈɛkt/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɛkt/ ]
[ US /səˈɫɛkt/ ]
pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
She selected a pair of shoes from among the dozen the salesgirl had shown her
Take any one of these cards
Choose a good husband for your daughter
of superior grade
selected or chosen for special qualifications
the blue-ribbon event of the season
How To Use select In A Sentence
- Several selections contain strings of double notes, primarily thirds and sixths.
- As I did at FIAC, I selected 18 galleries and asked their most anglophonic expert to pick an image and talk about it for under two minutes. Michael Kurcfeld: Doing Shots: The Old and the New at Paris Photo 2011 (VIDEO)
- As far back as the 1920s, it was an easy getaway for Hollywood types looking for a little privacy; and this golden era lives on at select spots.
- Every large town will have quite a few horologers and jewelers with a vast selection of fancy watches displayed their windows, with huge price tags to go with them.
- The remaining three evolutionary forces are nonadaptive in the sense that they are not a function of the fitness properties of individuals: mutation is the ultimate source of variation on which natural selection acts, recombination assorts variation within and among chromosomes, and genetic drift ensures that gene frequencies will deviate a bit from generation to generation independent of other forces. A Disclaimer for Behe?
- A lot of those who were named were deselected or resigned.
- Press Y to select evenly spaced columns.
- Mr. Sorapong, 35 years old, selected industrial estate developers Hemaraj Land & Development PCL and Amata Corporation PCL among his top picks, with Hemaraj returning 147% over the course of 2010 and Amata providing a 99% return on investment. Real Estate
- We welcome submissions through e-mail because that saves us the bother of retyping the selected manuscripts.
- I was talking to a mom today whose daughter's elementary teacher said she was afraid that her daughter had "selective mutism. Canard - French Word-A-Day