- any of numerous fishes of the class Chondrichthyes characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton and placoid scales: sharks; rays; skates
How To Use selachian In A Sentence
- a spiny operculum, as in all but the selachian fishes, but with one of skin. The History of Animals
- Those produced by the hypochordal lobe of the caudal fin of selachians and early bony fishes have been studied in detail.
- Modern, skeleton-breaking predators, particularly teleosts, neoselachian sharks and rays, and decapod crustaceans, began to diversify in nearshore environments during the Jurassic Period.
- Lack of neural spine is consistent with selachians (a group of vertebrates which includes sharks and rays).
- Fish included many elasmobranchs as well as osteichthyes such as palaeoniscoids, dipnoi, selachians, and crossopterygians, together with the ancient acanthodians.