[ US /sɪkˈjʊɹəti/ ]
[ UK /sɪkjˈɔːɹɪti/ ]
[ UK /sɪkjˈɔːɹɪti/ ]
a department responsible for the security of the institution's property and workers
the head of security was a former policeman
- an electrical device that sets off an alarm when someone tries to break in
a formal declaration that documents a fact of relevance to finance and investment; the holder has a right to receive interest or dividends
he held several valuable securities
- a guarantee that an obligation will be met
defense against financial failure; financial independence
insurance provided protection against loss of wages due to illness
his pension gave him security in his old age
property that your creditor can claim in case you default on your obligation
bankers are reluctant to lend without good security
measures taken as a precaution against theft or espionage or sabotage etc.
military security has been stepped up since the recent uprising
freedom from anxiety or fear
the watch dog gave her a feeling of security
the state of being free from danger or injury
we support the armed services in the name of national security
How To Use security In A Sentence
- He appealed to all householders to continually check their security arrangements.
- With check-in times now prolonged because of security issues, traders are lapping up even more business as they tempt us with their trinkets and gewgaws.
- The study predicted that, by 2022, the country would still require $7.2 billion in foreign aid a year—and that assumes an upsurge of so-far inexistent mining-industry revenue and no dramatic deterioration of security. Afghanistan Seeks Enduring Support
- You need financial security and the support of a loving partner to cope with those demands. The Sun
- But for the watermark, the thickness of the paper and the missing security thread, the note, reportedly obtained from a private bank, looked like genuine currency for all practical purposes.
- Medium security levels can enter and delete data and low security levels can only view data.
- Mandela was convinced of security force "connivance", at least in the form of standing back and allowing violence that they could stop. ANC Daily News Briefing
- The Australian Security Intelligence Organisation is responsible for internal security, for counter-espionage, for counter-intelligence and counter-terrorism.
- It cannot be a good sign that the filmmakers are largely impervious to the insecurity and suffering of wide layers of the population.
- Is that something you really want to see, that kind of ossified thinking in a bureaucratic organization like Homeland Security? CNN Transcript Jul 21, 2005