- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield
- the base that must be touched second by a base runner in baseball
How To Use second base In A Sentence
- Australian Natalie Ward was the first to put a run on the board in the eighth innings when Simmone Morrow bunted the ball and a throwing error by the Chinese allowed her to race to second base while Ward skipped home.
- Writers no longer take note of the assists credited to a shortstop or second baseman.
- Belliard's October success hasn't surprised manager Tony La Russa, who said his second baseman is accustomed to playing in pressure situations because he does so every winter in the Dominican Republic. Belliard plays up to Cards' expectations
- Jeremy Beckham was the Griffin shortstop and also could be a late-round pick in this year's draft as a second baseman out of Georgia Southern University. Georgia becomes prime ground for major league prospects
- He called for a ball from the umpire and stepped on second base, claiming to have retired Merkle on a force-out. No Uncertain Terms
- Inglett played mostly infield during spring training, but second baseman Rickie Weeks hasn't missed a game and veteran Craig Counsell has been used to spell shortstop Alcides Escobar. National League Team Notes
- In baseball though, the boy played flawlessly, often reaching second safely on a lazy groundball hit to the second baseman. A Boy Who Looks Like Horses, or A Horse Who Looks Like Boys
- Andy Pettitte going to second base for a force-out in the sixth inning of Game 6 when he could have forced out the lead runner at third. USATODAY.com - Marlins-Yankees Series all about atmosphere
- In fact, Ellis, the second baseman, is the only other guy left from 2002, when the A's were beaten in five by the Twins. USATODAY.com - Baseball - Oakland vs. Minnesota
- Let's say the Angels have Darin Erstad on second base and one out when Tim Salmon singles him home in the eighth inning, breaking a 2-2 tie.