[ US /ˈsɛkənd/ ]
a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first
the second violins
- coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude
a speech seconding a motion
do I hear a second?
- the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the second of the bases in the infield
a 60th part of a minute of arc
the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here
the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle
he had to shift down into second to make the hill
- 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
an indefinitely short time
in just a bit
wait just a moment
it only takes a minute
in a mo
- merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
following the first in an ordering or series
he came in a close second
- the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
a particular point in time
the moment he arrived the party began
give support or one's approval to
I'll second that motion
I can't back this plan
endorse a new project
transfer an employee to a different, temporary assignment
The officer was seconded for duty overseas
in the second place
second, we must consider the economy
How To Use second In A Sentence
- It sparked to life in the second act, when the symbolism gave way to themes of lust and sexual temptation.
- When the King heard this, he bade his son be slain; but on the next day the second Wazir came forward for intercession and kissed ground in prostration. The Book of The Thousand Nights And A Night
- Second, that the entire Reichstag assented to the declarations made by the speakers on Tuesday that the Emperor had exceeded his constitutional prerogatives in private discussion with foreigners concerning Germany's attitude on controverted questions. New York Times Current History: The European War from the Beginning to March 1915, Vol 1, No. 2 Who Began the War, and Why?
- Secondly, he makes the team too much money, raking in ticket and merchandise sales like crazy.
- During adolescence , boys and girls will take on secondary sexual characteristics.
- A second problem is damage caused by the buildup of excessive electrical charges in the plate from the unwanted ions.
- She is daunted by the task ahead in the second of the six-part series. The Sun
- Keeping specific goals and metrics for testing in mind not only helps track status and results, but also avoids the last-second scramble to pull together necessary reports.
- The RAM has a first location for storing the data signal and a second location for storing the initialization status indicator.
- For high-definition video, the umi needs an Internet connection that can send, or upload, data at 1.5 megabits per second, higher than that of typical DSL or cable services. Cisco Launches 'Umi' Telepresence Box To Turn TVs Into Videophones