[ UK /skˈɜːvi/ ]
- a condition caused by deficiency of ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
of the most contemptible kind
a low stunt to pull
a scummy rabble
his miserable treatment of his family
a scurvy trick
a low-down sneak
You miserable skunk!
How To Use scurvy In A Sentence
- So it was either scurvy-flavored hookers and gin-soaked alkies, or nothing at all. PAUL IS UNDEAD
- I lately had occasion to justify an action to a man," went on Clowes, "but, no, the scurvy fellow would put no faith in my words, insisting that the person I sought to clear was covinous and tricky, and wholly unworthy of trust. Janice Meredith
- Oh, and further to Lisa's comment, neither is a morphew a "scurvy blister". Languagehat.com: OLD DISEASE NAMES.
- Picrochole thus in despair fled towards the Bouchard Island, and in the way to Riviere his horse stumbled and fell down, whereat he on a sudden was so incensed, that he with his sword without more ado killed him in his choler; then, not finding any that would remount him, he was about to have taken an ass at the mill that was thereby; but the miller's men did so baste his bones and so soundly bethwack him that they made him both black and blue with strokes; then stripping him of all his clothes, gave him a scurvy old canvas jacket wherewith to cover his nakedness. Gargantua and Pantagruel, Illustrated, Book 1
- In Java, poultices of the herb are applied to old sores, scurvy, and other skin conditions.
- He treated his scorbutic patients with a mixture of plant and vegetable juices made from water cress, brooklime, scurvy grass, all herbs rich in ascorbic acid.
- We are at the bottom of a chalk-pit, Mr Charles," answered Tom, "the fellows have played us a somewhat scurvy trick, but I cannot but say that it was better than sending us over the cliff and breaking our necks; howsomdever, the sooner we get out of it the better as I'm wet to the skin, and would like to take a brisk walk homeward to get dry. Washed Ashore The Tower of Stormount Bay
- It took many years before it was realized that adding citrus fruits to the diet of men at sea would keep scurvy at bay. The Vitamin Fact Finder
- The most arresting of these was a frozen landscape of pebbles with raw shrimps and strewn with wild beach plants such as sea arrowgrass, St. John's wort, Portulak and the unfortunately named scurvy-grass. Noma's Spectrum of Flavors
- Vitamin C deficiency can ultimately lead to scurvy.